Arno Gourdol » resume
A veteran of Apple and Adobe, I’m passionate about building software products that delight customers.
I’m results driven, and I know how to balance business needs, schedule and team goals to deliver products efficiently and reliably.
I’m an experienced team builder and leader with deep technical background and business insight.
I frequently speak at conferences. I’m an effective communicator, engaging speaker and skilled presenter.
- Web Platform & Authoring Adobe, 2011—today
- Leading a team that is making the web better and building awesome tools to create great interactive content. Our projects include PhoneGap, PhoneGap Build, Adobe Edge, Shadow, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Brackets, contributions to WebKit and other open source projects, CSS Regions & Exclusions, CSS Filters and Blend Mode. Find out more at < a href="http://html.adobe.com>html.adobe.com
- Adobe AIR Adobe, 2007—2011
- Director of Engineering for Adobe AIR, the multiscreen runtime that brought the ease of development and the power of web technologies to developers of stand-alone apps.
- Adobe Bridge CS2 and CS3 Adobe, 2004—2007
- Responsible for the product development of Adobe Bridge CS2 and CS3. Managed software engineering and quality engineering teams. Worked with product management and other cross-functional teams around the world.
- Creative Suites integration engineering manager.
- Engineering Manager for Adobe Extensions Manager.
- Adobe Creative Suite Adobe, 2001—2003
- Responsible for the development of XMP, Adobe’s XML-based metadata platform. Advocated its internal adoption, its release as an Open Source project and worked with partners, including Microsoft, and standard bodies (W3C, IPTC) to promote its adoption.
- Engineering manager responsible for the development of the Version Cue asset management client. Established a new model for the integration of shared technology components across the many product teams contributing to Adobe’s Creative Suite.
- Mac OS Finder Apple, 1998—2001
- Architect and lead engineer of a complete rewrite of the Finder for Mac OS X. (2 patents)
- Introduced an iterative software development process. Participated in weekly design meetings with Steve Jobs (and had a good time doing it).
- Mac OS User Interface Team Apple, 1992—1997
- As an intern, developed gesture recognition algorithms for a pen-based platform (3 patents)
- Designed and built Navigation Services, the standard Mac OS Open/Save dialogs
- Lead Engineer for Apple’s Human Interface team (70 engineers). Set the technical direction for the team, improved software engineering processes, assigned tasks and participated in the product definition and design of the projects. (1 patent)
- Worked with product and project management to define the schedule, processes and features of Mac OS 7.6, Mac OS 8 and Mac OS 8.5.
- Speaker at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) from 1992 to 2001
- WinMath Self-employed, 1986—1988
- Designed, developed and published an educational math software for the Mac
- MS CS, Ph.D. CS dropoutUJF Grenoble, France, 1993
- Post-graduate degree in software engineering and computer human interface from the Univesité Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France. Topic: «Architecture of multimodal user interfaces» and «Sketching and scribbling for pen-based computers»
- Teaching assistant in a CS 200-level course.
15 patents granted
« Method and apparatus for displaying multiple page files », U.S. Patent 8,051,377
«Methods and apparatus for efficient layout of digital content», U.S. Patent 7,707,508
«Collaborative asset management», U.S. Patent 7,603,357
«Graphical user interface having contextual menus», U.S. Patent 7,600,197
«User interface for a display screen», U.S. Patent D591,764
«Graphical user interface for computers having variable size icons», U.S. Patent 7,216,304
«Method and apparatus for icon compression and decompression», U.S. Patent 6,721,455
«Graphical user interface having contextual menus», U.S. Patent 6,493,006
«Multiple theme engine graphical user interface architecture», U.S. Patent 6,188,399
«Icon override apparatus and method», U.S. Patent 6,100,888
«Method and apparatus for generating composite icons and composite masks», U.S. Patent 6,031,532
«Multi-representational data structure for recognition in computer systems», U.S. Patent 5,749,070
- Blog arno.org, Twitter @arnog, Linked-in linkedin.com/in/arnog , flickr flickr.com/photos/arnog/
- Traveled Australia, Canada, Carribean, Egypt, Fiji, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New-Zealand, Spain, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Zanzibar
- Certified divemaster, first-responder